November 10, 2011

Beware Of Westernism

Discussion with Ustad Gulam Fariduddin Ayaz AlHussaini on 23-09-2011 at Lamakaan, Hyderabad
Published in Muslim Murasu, November 2011

I belong to Delhi Gharana school of music. Amir Khursrao was our mentor. Today, many mediocre artists take refuge under Gharana banner and pretend like musical experts. ‘My father was a great music exponent’. This ancestral pride won’t help much. Only those who are properly trained and honed their skills can survive. One who sacrifices 15 years in his life relentlessly pursuing Sur naturally commands great respect. He will stand undefeated in the face of ancestral arrogance.
My forefather Tan Ras Khan was music teacher to Bahadhur Shah Jafar. I received prestigious ‘Pride of Performance’ award from Pakistan government. Journalists asked me at that occasion how did I feel. I replied that I get awards and accolades in every performance when I face audience. This thing in my hand is just a piece of gold.
My father used to tell me, “If you leave music for one day, music will leave you for one month”. I used to practice Sur while massaging his legs. He will be snoring and sleeping. But even in that condition, if I make mistakes in Sur, he will kick me. Gifted people seldom sleep.
First lesson in Tasawwuf, spirituality, is to completely surrender to God’s Will. This is spiritual discipline. Quran tells as 'Nafsun mutmainna'. It is impossible to translate it. A rough translation would be 'satisfied soul.' A lover feels delighted only when he sees his beloved. In Tasawwuf, it is taught to be satisfied and contended without seeing. But when you get a glimpse of the other world, you should not talk or brag about it.
Now music schools and groups are getting polluted. Such deterioration is visible in spiritual centers also. Hypocrisy is penetrating. Guru, saint, is roaming with a convoy of half a dozen Pajeros. But some Qanqahs (spiritual center) are doing exceptionally good jobs.
Language or words are not important in Sufi music. Message is more important. Our job is done when you feel divine presence. Objective is to realize God. The feeling penetrates from one heart to another. The message comes out of one veil and goes behind another veil. You can feel it, but not describe in words. Other music forms are entertainment to ears. They do not touch the hearts.
Our people who settled in western countries totally succumbed to their culture. Now they feel distressed when they see their offspring growing and going even further. I have traveled all across the world with my father. My father always gave me Tarbiyyath, he taught me good values.
There was a deluge of pop music 20 years earlier. We realized that we have not erected walls and barriers for our culture. We were flooded by pop and rock music. I will always teach Tarbiyyath, discipline, to my son. He won’t go astray.
Two hundred events are organized annually in the cultural center. This is a great job. You have to transform each of your houses into castles of culture.
I sing Qawwal in Hindi, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, German, French, Marathi and Pasthun.
Prophets and Messengers served and guided human society in their times. Sufis and saints are now reforming and inculcating good values in the society.

No comments: